Sunday 24 June 2012

iCandy Studios co-owner speaks to the Fashion Police


Ms Gaia Beck
1)Please tell us who you are and what you do for those not familiar with you?

Hi I am Gaia Beck co-owner of iCandy Studios, A multifunctional photographic and video studio in South London. I have also spent many years creating high profile and celebrity parties.



2)Describe your fashion sense?

My fashion sense is laid back, chic.  I like to keep to good quality classics and update my accessories to keep on trend. Of course I like to be sexy as much as possible and keep it tight to save on ironing.




3)What perfume are you wearing as we speak?

Lalique NILANG, I was a gift by a UK Director after hosting the launch of a new store and its now my favourite summer scent.



4)What 2 words best describe you as a person?

Passionate and Driven.  I can become obsessed with what I am working on but in order to achieve success I think you have to put your all in and then reap the rewards later.


5)Tell us all about the icandy studio's?

The iCandy Studios were born from a friendship between myself and the team behind Flavour Magazine and iCandy online.  We wanted to create a space where the creatives that we worked with, fashion designers, photographers, music artists, stylists, models, could come together, hang out, use their imagination in our space and with the time and assistance with exposure we can offer to really reach fantastic new levels.



6)When not working what do you enjoy doing?

I like spending time with my family. I love taking lots of pictures of them as they are all so diverse (as I’m half St. Lucian and half Jewish) and of course beautiful, I often get them into the studio for portraits.




7)If you were to walk the red carpet which designer would you wear?

I would wear my friend J Majebelle.  She’s an up and coming designer, using traditional African prints in funky modern styles.  I know no one else would be wearing my dress and I would definitely turn heads.



8) If you were given 2 tickets to fly anywhere in the world where would you fly to?

I’d like to visit the far east, Japan is on my list of places I’d like to see.



9) What are a few things women do that makes you mad?

Being over dramatic, so many things in life will work themselves out, we really don’t need to make everything, especially our love lives in to life and death situations.




10) Do you think you’re a true representation of a today's woman?

Well in theory yes, we want it all and have to find time to do it all, family, work, love, money, glamour, power.  It’s not easy but that’s what today’s woman has fought for so guess we better not complain.



11) What makes a man a real gentleman?

A gentleman to me is a man who listens and understands what is important to the woman in his life.



12) What do you think of the Fashion Police News Blog?

It’s fantastic, gives great insights into some fab people in the fashion world.




13) What do you think of men who teaches women to walk?

Men can sometimes communicate better with a women, a woman can listen to a man’s advice without it turning into competition.



14) Who are your 4 best friends you would ride and die for?

I’d have to say my business partners Leonard and Annika, we spend so much time together I even see their faces in my sleep.  My ex business partner and baby daddy Ike Le Starr who is such a support and my dad who I run all my ideas past, then ignore all his advice.




15)Where do you see yourself in 6 years time?

I’d like to have a few studios around the world so I can work and holiday, well more holiday than work.  Working everyday with very talented people offers a lot of opportunities to get involved in.



16) What are your top 4 fashion tips you live by?

Dress for your body shape not for fashion.

Don’t be afraid to express yourself.

Keep it classy.

Individuality it key.




17)Describe what true beauty is in your own words?

Beauty is transcendent of physical looks, charm, grace and humility translate your beauty.



18)What are your best assets?

I’m always told I have beautiful skin but my legs aint bad either.



19) What are a few things people say that are so not true that you would love to address here?

I don’t care what people say, I got bigger fish to fry.



20) There are so many other studios like icandy what makes your studio different from all the rest?

The biggest difference is that we at icandy are more than just a space to hire. We offer a very personal service so that the brief can surpass expectations, designers will often come to me with their collection and ideas and we will put together the best team to help them.  We have such a large database of talent and experience ourselves and we are happy to assits our clients and friends so that they get the best results.

Also with Flavour Magazine and Icandy Online we can provide platforms for our clients to showcase and market themselves which is very important particularly for those starting out.



21) If you had the power to choose 4 people of your choice to shoot in your studios who would it be and why?

I’d bring in the original diva models Naomi Cambell, Tyra Banks, Cindy Crawford and Mr Catwalk Professor.  Can you imagine that shoot would be fierce?!














22) What are a few things you don't like about the fashion world?

I don’t like the amount of charlatans in fashion, there are so many people in the fashion industry preying on young women, who are very innocent.  Girls have to be careful who they trust.



23) What advice do you have for anyone who is willing to do what you do?

You have to be prepared to do a bit of everything, one day I could be holding a reflector for hours because a photographers assistant didn’t show, making coffee for crying models, dealing with the tax man, painting floors.  Of course there are a lot of fun parts but in the most part it is the preparation that counts.




24) If we was a fly on your bedroom wall what would we be shock to see?

You’d see clothes everywhere, perfumes, make up, shoes, you would think three people slept in there, I have way too much stuff for one woman.



25) If you was to stay home on valentines night with your lover what would you wear and cook?

I love to cook and do so all the time so as Valentines is special I would leave the oven off, the only edibles would be the ones I am wearing . 




26) Any last words to our many blog readers?

Never be afraid to ask, if you don’t ask you don’t get!

If you want to book the icandy studio ask at:



If you want to feature on line

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion Police News Blog would love to ear from you