Monday 2 January 2012

Top Talented Linton Clarke Speaks to the Fashion Police


1)For those who are not familiar with you who are you and what do you do?

Hi I’m Linton Clarke and I’m a Model, Dancer and Creative Director

2)What 4 words best describe you as a person?

It’s absolutely impossible to choose just 4 words to describe myself in a holistic sense but I can offer 4 words that describe parts of me. Gentleman, rambunctious, peculiar, witty.

3)When not working what do you enjoy doing?

When I’m not at work (which is virtually never) I tend to do nothing really… Hang out with friends, maybe get a facial, Host movie night at my place or just parading around my house next to no clothes. I don’t really wear clothes at home… I don’t really get people that do [he laughes]
4)Which male models do you look up to based in the uk?

Gosh that’s an interesting question to have to answer. Given that I grew up in London I’m really proud of all of the guys from the UK that I see working consistently through the fashion seasons but I don’t know if I would say I look up to any them and that’s not me being a dismissive. Being a 6ft 6 model means I don’t typically fit the criteria for a fashion model per say. Our industry’s criteria banding favours guys between 5ft 11 and 6ft 2 which usually puts me in a category all by my myself. For that reason my tendency is to look inwards for inspiration as oppose to outwards. Most male models simply are not 6ft6 x-gymnasts. That said I’ve always has great respect for Anthony Kaye. He is daring and dynamic. I just remember being aware of him long long before I ever dared to dream that I would some day be a model. I think he is as recognised as a dancer as he is for modelling. That speaks well of his work ethic and that  is inspiring.

5)There are so many models what makes you different?

What makes me different is that I have a unique set of skills to use to my advantage, but even more to the point the thing that’s sets me apart from other models is my approach. I see modelling as an art form. I study it daily and dovote most of my time to my craft. I don’t think people become models. I think you either are or you’re not. It’s a part of what makes you, youand it defiantly defines a large part of who/what I am.



6)Are you a full time model are part time?

It depends on what you mean by full time model. For the most part ‘full time model’ is actually a myth. It doesn’t exist. Even world renowned super models will have other areas of interest and means of income. Work is seasonal so there will always be prolonged periods off nothingness and so in that sense I suppose no I’m not a full time model I’m a part timer. 

7)What music would bring you to the dance floor?

I just love dancing in general and I have a really unclassifiable taste in music so almost anything will get me dancing, it just depends on my mood. I have been known to clear dance floors and shut down clubs when I hear 80s Soul and 90s RnB.  I like pop in the naughtiest too. Anything with some nice texture and a bumping baseline. Oh yeah, and I’m loving some of the ‘Afrobeat’ stuff I’m hearing recently. I don’t know most the artist names and I don’t speak any African languages but I can sing the lyrics sound for sound. [He laughs]

8)Are you single/married/relationship?

I can confirm that I’m not married as for the other two options… I’m going to have to plea the fifth.


9)If you had the chance to do a photo shoot with anyone who would it be and why?

I’d have to say. I’d love to shoot with Coco Rocha. The girl is simply fire. She has oodles of personality and emotes effortlessly. I think we’d have a really good time on set together

10)What are your 4 fashion tips to our many readers?

4 tips ok

1.    This one is for guys. If you want the expensive bespoke look and you’re on a tight budget, get your suit off the peg 1 size too big and take to a good dry cleaners to get it tailored perfectly to fit you. It makes all the difference.
2.    Don’t smoke… its really not fashionable or sexy in anyway.
3.    When putting on outfit together always bear in mind “contrast” it’s the easiest way to look stylish. If you have something dramatic on top, keep the bottom simple. You never want step out in gold sequence head to toe.
4.    This goes for both guys and girls. “Get feature shoes” if your busy or lazy like me and don’t want to always have to think too hard about what to wear get shoes that stand out and wear with plain simple outfits. All black and a pair of feature shoes will always draw and hold attention. And ladies avoid fish-net tights at ALL costs. They are horrid ghastly things.  Men only think one thing when we see those however I am not at liberty to so what that is [he laughs].
I know that’s 5 tips but I couldn’t help myself.
11)What do you love most about being a model?

What I like most about being a model is “being a model” it’s a great thing to be and I hold it in very high esteem.
                  
12)Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I’m not sure if I can think 5 years into the future I can barely remember what’s on my itinerary for next week. Thank God for blackberry reminders…
I do know that I want to do a lot more work behind the scenes, because creatively if you have a vision, you need your eyes to be behind the camera to see if what is being captured satisfies you’re your idea in a true sense. I’d also like to think that I’d be in a position to share more my acquired knowledge.  I guess in a nutshell I want to do exactly what I’m doing now but get paid more for it. [He laughs again]

13)Is it easy being a model your height? As we know the standard height for male models?

I touched on this before, but no it’s not at all easy for models my height. In fact its virtually impossible for models my height to get any work period. That is unless you are incredibly savvy and business minded. Every casting, fitting, meeting etc has to be approached with a Dragons’ Den-like focus. You have to be equipped to walk into a room and convince the casting director who has probably been in the industry for years and subscribes fully the widely respected standards in terms of height, that he/she is wrong. Above that you have to then back up your claim with evidence of work that proves it to be true.  It is the equivalent of insisting on driving on the wrong side of the road despite the obvious law.  But for me I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love my height and I’m proud to say that I have broken down boundaries even if only in a small way.  Anyone who knows me will know that I feel strongly about seeing ‘potential in individuals’ and not options in collectives. I believe every man should be asses to his own merit. Is he capable? Has he proven his abilities? What is his motivation?  This could go into a entire discourse but I will spare you the lecture until another time. I am just very happy that I do get work and I am starting to get recognition… and I say starting to because I have such a very very long way to go yet.


14)If you was given a ticket to travel to any where in the world where would you go and why?

I would travel anywhere with loads of sun and a private beach.  I love water, and I love the ocean. I envisage many romantic nights with by the sea side





15)What message do you have for aspiring models?

My message is a simple one. ‘EDUCATE YOURSEVES’ I cant stress that enough. Anything you choose to do in life, if you are to do well, you MUST be well informed about it.

16)What do you think when you don't see much models of colour on catwalks/bill boards?

I actually feel that at this stage in 2012 there is a fair enough representation of models of colour currently gracing catwalks on a whole. Not FAIR representation but ‘fir enough.’ The penny seems to have dropped that we’re pretty darn good at walking. My problem is the lack of coloured campaign models.  This is where the ratio is grossly negatively skewed I believe. I do not however see it as a negative however. I don’t believe in complaining. As a model of colour it is my job to ensure that I do everything in my power over the lifespan of my career to get my ‘coloured face’ on those billboards. Each success opens the door for countless others. It’s just a challenge like everything else in life. It means when I go to work and I’m on set for a photo-shoot, I have to bear in mind that I’m not just modelling for me or just for the client but for everything that my presence represents. But no it doesn’t anger me, it just reminds me to be thankful for my opportunity to take positive steps.  

17)What attracts you to someone?

What attract me to someone… I like a person who free spirited with integrity and a wicked sense of humour. I’m also a sucker for nice plump lips.

18)If you could change one thing in the fashion world what would it be?

If I could change one thing about fashion I would clean-up some of the ‘unnecessary’ sexual provocativeness. I think we should focus on selling quality brands, labels, concepts and ideas, not ‘sex.’ Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that there isn’t a place fore sexuality in fashion but I think sometimes it is just done ‘just because’ and not for any particular reasoned definition other than, ‘it is ‘commercially viable’

I would also like a link to my fan page on Facebook and twitter to be posted alongside the interview.
Twitter: @LintonClarke

N.B ...On behalf of Fashion Police thank you for the interview Mr Clarke to the readers any wrong spelling you may see in the questions ask.......yes yes it was made by Fashion Police.XX




No comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion Police News Blog would love to ear from you